Tabs

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Copy Cat Cock Up.

Tuesday 8th June, 16:45 - 20:30. Lanny's Lagoon, Big Pool. 18C, light S, mostly overcast with heavy showers.

As things hot up weather-wise and in terms of our competition all information on points not yet gained is welcome. To this end I blatantly tried to replicate Danny's brown goldfish success of the weekend with a trip to Lanny's lagoon.

This woodland fishery near Brinklow on the Fosse Way is set in very attractive surroundings. There are two pools surrounded by trees, both with islands. There seem to be quite a few rules and signs pointing them out to anglers, but nothing daft. Having spoken with Lanny the owner it's obvious why the rules are there: the fishery is owner run and the guy just wants everyone to look after the place to his reasonable standards. He's living the dream.

The only time I did raise an eyebrow is when he came over to collect my money and have a chat and pointed out a sign on the floor to me. "That says 'Do Not Fish Here'", he said and explained it was because of an unsafe tree and that this peg and the next were closed for fishing. Take a look at the sign.

It's absolutely blank!
He's a reasonable man and as it wasn't windy he wasn't going to move me on.

I fished on the larger pool, maggot over seeds under a pole float (no high protein pellets or pastes allowed).



Fish came from the off on maggot: roach, rudd, loads of skimmers with the odd mature bream, a single four ounce carp and about eight larger carp, max approx 8lbs. All fast and furious fun on light tackle - especially the carp - but not a single brown goldfish amongst them.

I resorted to four maggots on the hook in order to get the bait down through the marauding hoards. Once on the deck it was usually a better fish which gave the bite.



When the rain came it hammered it down.



When the sun came out briefly it lit up the green.
As the evening progressed the carp dominated proceedings more and more. They really tested my light tackle.


I couldn't believe I'd not had a single goldfish all night.

I had a text exchange with Danny today to that effect during which he told me he had fished the other pool - the one without the king carp but stuffed full of the little brown jobs.

Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment