Tabs

Friday 2 July 2010

Mini Species No Show.

Thursday 1st July, 16:00 - 19:00. Oxford Canal. Bright and sunny then clouding over later. 26C.

I had a brief visit to the Oxford canal after work to try for mini-species. Ruffe and Bullhead were the targets.

I fished on the outskirts of Coventry. I parked in a car park but after an hour an old boy walking the canal informed me the police had just turned up to inspect my vehicle 'as so many get dumped and set on fire round here'. It was that kind of place. 'If it has a vowel in the name then it's a $*** hole' is a good rule of thumb round this neck of the woods.

Fishing on the edge of the nearside shelf it took me about half an hour to get a bite on my super light outfit.



Next on the bank was a surprise.



That's right, it was an eight ounce Ruffe! (Now where did I put that fish identification book).

The 'net' result of a few hours on a maggot down the edge was a few skimmers, a small zed and a perch.


Just mini versions of maxi species. Still, a nice way to finish off the working day.

I let the sat nav guide me safely home and ended up in the middle of nowhere in a 'traveller designated area'. Imagine if when you'd finished with a wardrobe you just rolled it to the bottom of your front gate and left it on the path. That's what one guy was doing as I trundled past and it looked like many of his forefathers had done just the same with their bins of yore.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment