Tabs

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Stratford's Elusive Roach.

Monday 24th Jan, 16:00 - 19:00. Stratford Upon Avon town water peg one. River at normal level.

A guy was packing his gear into his car and changing clothes at the end of his fishing day just as I was unloading.

We chatted for a few minutes and he said he'd done well with good roach on peg one by the boat club. Not far out. Stret-pegging bread. He mentioned a large predator which had swiped at his fish a few times during the afternoon.

I happened to have a bucket of mashed bread and a deadbait rod with me and so quickly settled onto the concrete bank next to a small pile of bread crumbs which gave away his position.

I cast a light feeder gently out, approximating the range he'd mentioned.

The deadbait rod I cast to mid river and pointed the tip up in the air so my dead bait was suspended off the bottom.

A couple of trembles to bread and a three pound chub were the only reward this evening.



 I engaged with a swan at one point but thankfully the line eventually came free.

One benefit of fishing up here by the theatre is that you can pick a street light on the far side and cast to it, ensuring accurate baiting.


I use a rear pole roller tripod as a rod rest on the concrete banks up here.


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment